- Household Hazardous Waste Special Collection is Friday, October 10, 2014 from 2pm – 6pm and Saturday, October 11, 2014 from 9am – 2pm. For information on what items are accepted for this event, click here.
- Commercial hazardous waste collection day is Friday, October 10, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. This special collection is only open to qualifying businesses and commercial establishments and not households. Click here for details.
- Furniture/Mattresses collection on Saturday, October 18, 2014
- Appliances on Saturday, October 25, 2014
- Tires on Saturday, November 1, 2014
► On October 26 from 3:00 to 7:00 pm Old Trail is having a Fall Festival at the Village Center with many activities and they will be selling food as well as wine and beer. All proceeds from the sale of beer and wine will benefit the Build Crozet Library Fund.
► Through October 28th, when you shop using Harris Teeter's Express Lane, your school will earn 10% of the order total! There is no limit to the number of times your school can utilize this offer, so bring in as many Express Lane orders as you can, while the promotion lasts! There is no better time than now to spread the word and get as many people linked to your school as possible to maximize the amount your school can earn through this limited time promotion. Use this link for hooking your VIC card up to your favorite local school http://www.harristeeter.com/community/together_in_education/link_to_your_school.aspx
► The Claudius Crozet Park Survey results are available at: http://www.crozetpark.org/2014-survey-results/
► Get the correct information about ambulance billing and EMS Cost Recovery in Albemarle County. Visit http://www.albemarle.org/emscostrecovery or call 434-296-5833. Key Fact: No one will ever be denied treatment or transport based on their ability to pay.
► Virginia Broadband (Internet access) survey results are available at: http://www.albemarle.org/navpages.asp?info=release&ID=17033
Crozet Community Advisory Council (CCAC) special meeting on Thursday, October 2nd at 7PM at the Field School.
The CCAC is hosting a meeting with Nate Cunningham, who comes to share his knowledge of Community Development Corporations (CDC), tomorrow, Thursday night, October 2 at 7:00 PM at the Field School (1408 Crozet Avenue; across from Crozet Elementary)
Developer Frank Stoner (Milestone Group; Barnes Lumber property development proposal) and Board of Supervisor representative Ann Mallek invited him to come speak to the CCAC and community in connection with ideas for developing the Barnes Lumber property, such as a public-private non-profit development corporation.
Nate Cunningham is the director of real estate development for the East Liberty Development, Inc. in Pittsburgh, PA. One article about their work is here: http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/print-edition/2011/09/09/developers-plan-project-east-liberty.html
Citizen Information Resources
Office of Emergency Management, Albemarle County
September is Emergency Preparedness Month! Ms. Allison Farole of the Charlottesville-UVA-Albemarle County Emergency Communications Center will give a presentation on Emergency Preparedness at 7PM on Wednesday September 24th at Mountainside Senior Living in Crozet.
- Learn about Personal Preparedness
- Learn about our Local Hazards
- Discuss Personal safety
- See how to build an emergency kit
- Having a family plan
- Developing a Communication Plan
Additional details on the event flyer, click here to get it.
Community Emergency Alert
You can register to receive phone messages, text messages and e-mail messages in case of emergency. The system is TTY/TDD compatible.
Register at https://acuecc.onthealert.com/
* Weather Warnings (Severe thunderstorm, Tornado, Flooding / Flash flooding, Winter storm)
* Major Events (Evacuation order, Shelter-in-place order, Gas leak, Boil water advisory, Amber
alert / missing person alert)
* Other (Community events with road closures, Major traffic disruption)
The Office of Emergency Management can be reached at 971-1263 or 970-1798 (8:30 AM-5:00 PM) if you need help with registration for any reason (e.g., no computer, no e-mail, problems with the registration form, etc.).
The Emergency Communications Center has social media tools to help the community be aware of daily interruptions, such as road closure due to accidents.
* Twitter – Follow #CommEmerg on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/CommEmerg )
* Facebook – Like the Charlottesville, UVA, Albemarle County Emergency Communications Center page on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/CommEmerg )
* Local television (if you have power)
* Radio stations
* Print media
The 979-INFO (979-4636) telephone line may be activated to provide the support during emergencies or situations in which there is a heavy call volume from the public.
* Community emergency page (www.communityemergency.org)
* Virginia Department of Emergency Management (www.vdem.state.va.us)
* Ready Virginia (www.readyvirginia.gov)
* FEMA’s Ready Website (www.readyvirginia.gov)
* Red Cross (www.redcross.org)
For those with smart phones, there are many emergency applications you can download to get information before, during and after an emergency.
* Ready Virginia app
* VDOT 511
* Red Cross (First Aid, Hurricane, Earthquake, etc.)
* Various weather apps
November 2013 (From the Albemarle County Office of Emergency Management)
Fardowners Restaurant will host their third Crozet Library Days during the entire month of October 2014!
Fardowners has been a strong supporter of the library in many ways and the latest event continues that tradition.
Eat at Fardowners any day in October and present this voucher (also available at the Crozet Library) and Fardowners will donate 15% of lunch food orders and 10% of dinner food orders to the Crozet/Western Albemarle Library.
Download a pdf to print: Fardowners BCL donation voucher
Visit Fardowners at 5773 The Square in Crozet.
Monday-Thursday: 11 AM to 12 AM
Friday & Saturday: 11 AM to 1:30 AM
Sundays: 10 AM to 12 AM
Fardowners Restaurant chefs won the Third Annual Crozet Culinary Competion for Charity (CCCC) at the Lodge at Old Trail on September 18, 2014 for the second time! So be sure to visit Fardowners Restaurant often in October and see why two years in a row the CCCC judges have rated Fardowners Crozet's best!
Streetscape Update – Friday, October 10, 2014
The following progress on the Crozet Streetscape project was made last week:
- Pavers for approximately 7-1/2 of the 12 total crosswalks were installed.
- Several crosswalk base slabs were poured too high. The contractor demolished and replaced a portion of these at two locations and will complete the rest of the repairs next week at no additional cost to the County.
- All shrubs and groundcover were installed throughout, roughly 1/2 the mulching was completed.
The following work is planned through the end of the project:
- Striping activities cannot occur in wet weather.
- Striping cannot be installed during a rain event or within 24 hours after a rain event.
- Temperatures must be above 40 degrees and rising if overnight temperatures drop below 40 degrees.
- Crosswalk paver installation will be completed next week, barring weather delays.
- Final mulching should be completed in the next day or two.
- Shrubs south of Tabor will be installed next week. These two items will conclude landscaping activities.
- Final signage is expected to be completed in the next 1-2 weeks.
- Substantial completion deadline is officially November 18, but is expected to occur in October.
Please note that the engineer, inspector, project manager, and contractor will walk the entire jobsite and identify any last remaining items to be completed just prior to the contract substantial completion date. The current substantial completion date is November 18th. The contractor will have 30 days from the date of substantial completion to correct any deficiencies or remaining work identified at that time.
Motorists are reminded to drive carefully throughout the construction zone and follow all posted signage.
If you have concerns or questions about the Crozet Streetscape, Albemarle County's Project Manager is Frank Pohl. He can be reached via email to: email@example.com or by phone: 434-872-4501, ext. 9-7914 or mobile: 434-466-7458.
CROZET COMMUNITY ADVISORY COUNCIL (CCAC) Meeting
The Crozet Library Community Room Crozet (2020 Library Avenue)
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
NOTE the new day and location!
1. Agenda Review. (Meg Holden – CCAC chair)
3. Project Updates/Information:
- Streetscape updates/issues if there are any, safe walks to school, Harris Teeter Crossing (Trevor Henry, Albemarle County Director of Facilities Development).
- Crozet Park events and plans – Kim Guenther, President
- County staff to dicuss new proposed zoning text amendments for setbacks in development areas.
- Brief update on Barnes Lumber Property and plans for learning about Community Development Corporation (CDC).
4. Items not listed on the agenda
6. Future Agenda Items.
Crozet Community Meeting
September 11, 2014
7:30PM at the Field School
Agenda Review / Changes and additions from the floor.
Approval of the CCA’s last meeting's minutes (May 8 2014) (Click here for draft of May 8 minutes)
Treasurer's Report by Emery Taylor ($10 family contribution for 2014 now payable)
Drop-in visit from Albemarle County Police officers (Evening Patrol Division) As part of the Albemarle County Police department community policing.
Presentations: Information about Ambulance billing and EMS Cost Recovery in Albemarle County by Kostas Albertis, WARS.
Update on Crozet Avenue Streetscape project and Crozet Safe Routes to School Sidewalk project by Albemarle County staffers Trevor Henry, Director of Facilities Development and Jack Kelsey, Transportation Engineer.
Updates and News from Ann Mallek, our county supervisor.
- Updates from the Crozet Park (Kim Guenther, Crozet Park President)
- Update on the Build Crozet Library fundraising (http://buildcrozetlibrary.org)
- Update on Barnes Lumber re-development proposal by Frank Stoner/Milestone Partners? http://www.barnes-lumber.com
- Recap of Fourth annual Crozet Independence Day Celebration. Next year's on Saturday, July 4, 2015!
- Replacing stolen "Welcome to Crozet" sign near RWSA treatment plant on Rte 240 (Three Notch'd Road)
- Revision of bylaws regarding voting on motions.
- Article VII: Motions made at a scheduled meeting will be presented, but not voted for acceptance until the subsequent scheduled meeting. The context of the motion will be communicated in the meeting minutes of the meeting in which it is presented and noted as being presented for vote at the subsequent meeting.
- AMEND to: (italics indicates added or changed text) Motions on new matters or topics made at a scheduled meeting will be presented, but not voted for acceptance until the subsequent scheduled meeting. The context of the motion will be communicated in the meeting minutes of the meeting in which it is presented and noted as being presented for vote at the subsequent meeting. The CCA website and email list will also be used to communicate about these pending motions. Motions involving the routine business of the CCA, (e.g., Good Neighbor Awards, Crozet Emblem stickers) may be made and moved in the same meeting.
- New Crozet emblem stickers and magnetic emblems. Asking for a $3. donation for the magnetic emblems.
- Other items?
Comments and Questions?
- Crozet Community Advisory Council meeting is next Wednesday, September 17 at 7:00 PM at the Crozet Library. NOTE the new day of the week (Third Wednesday) and location (Crozet Library). Everyone is encouraged to attend.
- Third Annual Crozet Culinary Competition for Charity (CCCC) on Thursday, September 18, at 6:00 PM at the Lodge at Old Trail. Tickets are $20. Available at the Lodge at Old Trail, the Senior Center or at the door. Benefits the Claudius Crozet Park. Volunteers needed! Please sign-up at: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/30E054CAEAA23A13-20141
- Crozet Arts and Crafts Festival, Saturday & Sunday, October 11 & 12. They will need your help to make it a success. So plan to attend and bring your co-workers and friends!
- Crozet Trails Crew (CTC) 5K run on October 11, 8:30 AM at Crozet Park.
Register to run/jog/walk: http://crozettrailscrew.org/crozet-trail-days/about-the-2014-ctc-5k-race/
If you wan to volunteer: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c084ea5ae22a13-crozet3
- Virginia Broadband (Internet access) Survey: Has released its report, available at: http://www.albemarle.org/navpages.asp?info=release&ID=17033
Future Agenda Items?
The next CCA meeting is November 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM at the Field School Auditorium
CCA meetings are at 7:30 PM on the second Thursday of the odd numbered months (except July).
Join our email list, by clicking on the "Contact Us" link on the top of this page.
This email list is moderated, so you cannot get spam because only approved email messages are sent out. Volume is usually 4-6 emails a month, all related to Crozet & Western Albemarle events and concerns.
From Albemarle County Streetscape Updates: CROZET ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TO BALLARD DRIVE
The purpose of this mostly VDOT grant-funded project is to provide safe pedestrian access from the Crozet Elementary School to Ballard Drive. Drainage improvements and a sidewalk will be constructed along the west side including a pedestrian crossing at the school entrance. The project was bid last fall and bids came in significantly over the County's budget. To move the project forward, VDOT required the design team to re-engineer the project to meet the project budget and/or find additional funds – the County has done both. A redesign to limit the impact of the existing waterline was approved in concept by both VDOT and ACSA at the end of the summer, which has reduced the cost of the project. Additional monies will also be appropriated to fill the funding gap. The formal design documents are now being revised to reflect this change and the project is back on track to bid this Fall.
The schedule of the project is as follows:
09/29/14 – Redesign Complete
10/10/14 – VDOT Review Complete
10/17/14 – Final Revisions Complete
10/21/14 – Out to Bid
11/20/14 – Bids Due
Construction is estimated to take approximately 2 months from when the contractor is issued a Notice to Proceed. Staff and the contractor will evaluate when to start construction, which could occur as soon as December or as late as early spring, depending on weather and contractor scheduling.
As previously advised, (see full Streetscap Update) crosswalk installation across Crozet Avenue and Jarmans Gap Road started last week (August 25-29). This requires the installation of temporary "bumps" at each crosswalk. "Bump Ahead" signs have been posted to warn motorists of the changing road conditions. Please drive slowly over these temporary bumps, remain alert and drive/walk carefully when traveling through the construction zone. Thank you for your patience and courtesy to motorists, pedestrians and workers during this difficult phase of construction.
This work should be complete within 2 to 3 weeks (by September 12 or 19).
Please drive carefully throughout the construction zone and follow all posted signage.
If you have concerns or questions about the Crozet Streetscape, Albemarle County's Project Manager is Frank Pohl. He can be reached via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: 434-872-4501, ext. 9-7914 or mobile: 434-466-7458. He has office hours at the Crozet Library on Wednesdays from Noon to 1:00 PM